thoughts about life and optimism

21 March 2019

I was listening to a podcast earlier (Getting Curious with Jonathan Van Ness ft Jameela Jamill) and in the podcast they were saying that innately we are born as optimists, and that as humans we are built to love. It is only as we get older that we are taught shame, that we are taught to hide our feelings rather than verbally confess our hunger, our anger or our sadness.  It's sad and strange to think of it in that way, that negativity is taught even though that is a truth of life.

bad quality but got no pictures, waitin for my bday so can fulfil my dreams of having a film camera 

The thing that stuck out a lot to me though is that fact we are innately optimists. I always thought I was a pessimist through and through, but I guess my pessimism is the way I have adapted to deal with things. It is easier to expect the worst in situations to eradicate the threat of disappointment. I used to get annoyed at myself for being an 'innately pessimistic' person, but it was all me! I was the only cause of negativity in those situations!! So you're hearing it here first, I am going to do what I can to uncover this optimism that I buried for the sake of making life easier, because life is not meant to be easy and there is no point in thinking bitterly in attempts to create a sense of ease.

I was thinking about how different things would be if we were taught to embrace optimism, rather than seeing those who do as dreamers, as blessed people who live in a false understanding of reality. (they don't have a false sense of reality, they just have hope! and gratefulness! and we are silly for being mean to people who are fuelled by hopes rather than negativity!) . Imagine how much more people would like themselves if we were taught optimism, how much more confidence we would have towards our work, how much hope we would all have for the future. To be fair, bitterness and self depreciation are the foundations of all my humour, but there is still space for optimism.

I don't know, just in that moment as I was tidying my uni room listening to the podcast, and hearing that humans are innately optimistic I just felt so silly for spending so many years being passive towards my negative thoughts. For just accepting them as a part of my life rather than challenging them. 2018 marked the big beginning of me transitioning from being a sad lil bitch to a bad big bitch and I hope that in 2019 I can learn and adapt to be more positive in my approach to things, rather than continue to think that I am destined to be a pessimist. None of us are! (side note- not saying positive thinking is going to cure everyones mental health, but it is always good to challenge the bad and think about some things with a hopefulness because at the end of the day, we are alive and we can't change that).




5 comments

  1. lmao I could so do with doing this, when u get old (19 is old!) u feel like these are engrained parts of u. Turns out they're not, but its fucking hard to challenge those ideas!!! thats our mission for 2k19 bitch. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be such a pessimist and I think I still carry around some of those tendencies, but I do try my absolute hardest to look on the positive side of things these days because its all you can do really, whats the point in being so down about everything when you actively have the choice to be positive!

    Lucy | Forever September

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely written post! I can definitely relate to this as I tend to say that I'm quite the pessimist. However, sometimes when I think a little harder about it, there's always that little bit of hope/optimism deep within me that maybe I should be encouraging to come out a little more!
    Sarah x
    http://www.saraheliza.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to think of myself as an innate incurable pessimist as well but I've been gradually realizing I wasn't always like this and that we can actually be whatever we want to be because all there is really only exists through our perception so if we shift that perception then we can also be something else we thought we are not. It's actually a relief to realize that :))

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I read them all and try my best to always reply x

© Libby-Jade. Design by FCD.