GOOD THINGS ABOUT JANUARY

12 February 2018

The title makes it sound like I love the month January- I can't say I particularly do, but the January of 2018 actually bought quite a few favourites into my life. Usually I can't do a favourites post because nothing jumps out, but some good things popped up this month. It was a weird month, but then again most are, but in the months which feel stranger than usual it's important to find good things to help provide a mental place of refuge when thoughts and feelings get too much. Although, some of the things I'm going to say are extremely materialistic but here are some of my good things from January.



I've discovered I love pink eyeshadow and found a foundation even better than NARS
I was bummed out when NARS said they wouldn't be a cruelty free company anymore- I share the general view that it's such an outrageous shift to go from cruelty free back to testing on animals. I was in love with their foundation, however I got the Too Faced foundation 'Born This Way' for Christmas and I love it even more than NARS, and it's cruelty free. It makes my skin look absolutely banging. I thought the NARS foundation was the best ever, but trying this has made me realise the NARS one was way too runny and thin. 10/10 recommend Too Faced Born This Way, I don't really know how to review foundation but it makes my skin lookpopping. Although, I have found out that Too Faced were bought by Estee Lauder, which has now made the whole animal rights thing more complicated so I'm going to have to research more about what this means. Also, I got this Urban Decay palette ages ago, and I have become addicted to wearing pink eyeshadow. When it runs out I don't know what I'll do- I don't feel like I'm truly ready to go outout if I'm not wearing this pink eyeshadow.



New favourite songs and new favourite book
Book wise, well I read 'The Great Gatsby' and that has become one of my favourite books. I've already gushed about it quite a lot here, if you want to have a read. For the record, this isn't just a favourite of January (nor are the songs) this is just an ultimate favourite. It's not even one of those where I wish I could forget it and reread it and have the first reading experience all over again because each time, despite knowing what will happen, it's still just as amazing!

Song wise, I actually have so many new favourites, which kind of invalidates the meaning of the word- but I've discovered so many good tunes lately. I go through phases where I need background noise, and sometimes I need silence but lately I've needed songs in the background which is my prime discovering time and woah boy- have I discovered. Ultimately, I think 'The Wombats' are my favourite band, they've just always been in my life- I remember listening to their songs when I was in primary school and had no idea what the lyrics meant yet I just loved their sound and the band has just stuck with me since. They released a new song called 'Turn' lately and I think it's one of their best yet and despite the fact I'm trying to break the cycle of listening to the same songs over and over again, this song is an exception. If you have time, I recommend giving it a listen here .

Side note- I've also been loving Everything Everything, Whitney, Rex Orange Country and Yellow Days. I've linked each to my favourite songs by them if you fancy a listen. Oh god look how much I've written about music, whoops. So here are some good things January bought, new favourite songs and a new favourite book.

I discovered the true healing powers of lemsip
Before this month, I have only had lemsip once before, but it was just a sip because I couldn't stand the taste so I didn't bother carrying on. Clearly I was not ill enough, now when future me is ill, I will drink this by the bucket load (well, as much as is safe). I regard this drink as the bloody nectar of the gods. Something about the mixture of pain killers and hot water and lemon is magical and just cures you for a few hours. I felt as if I was drunk after I drank my first proper lemsip, that's how good it made me feel. If you're ill, don't be a baby about it- it may taste gross but just drink the lemsip.
(side note- I got lemsip max the other day, but I can't really say I felt a difference between that and the normal one)

Not going to lie, this was probably the worst part of Newcastle (and most disappointing waggamamas I've ever had) but it's the only photo I have
Made some great memories
-I had a date night with my friend Sophia, we went into London and drank the best rose of our lives, then went to a fancy cinema and saw Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri which absolutely blew our minds. I can't put into words how incredible this film was, no expectation was met- the film took so many turns and the interludes of happy country music didn't distract from the intensity of the film. Also, it was quite Wes Anderson-esque in the style it was filmed in my opinion- a lot of focus on the way the film looked combined with such an intriguing story line made for a great night. We wondered the streets of London aimlessly for a bit after as we couldn't come to grips with reality, then we went to Wetherspoons and had nachos and cocktails.
-I saw Katie in Newcastle and almost died walking up the stairs but didn't want her to know how unfit I am, and we went to bar that was so cute and I fell in love with Newcastle (as well as Katie's coat which I think I'll forever be jealous of to be honest)
-I then saw my friend in Newcastle and we had such a fun night out, with disco lights and smiles and groovy music. Newcastle was a very lovely experience, the city and the people. Also, everybody there is attractive.
-For the first time this month whilst me and my sisters were laughing my nephew done a fake laugh, just so he could be in on the joke. It was absolutely adorable and hilarious and I just love it, I don't know why I find it so funny he does this. Just because it seems such an awkward thing to do, like when you're older and you have to fake laughter it's just a bit uncomfortable, but seeing him do it was hilarious. Now he does it all the time when other people are laughing.

So there are a few good things from January, I hope you're all having a great February! I'm away at the moment, so if you comment I will reply when I'm back. Adios pals!

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I read them all and try my best to always reply x

© Libby-Jade. Design by FCD.