seeking comfort vs true beliefs

17 August 2018




I feel like my entire life has had the underlying hope that people get what they deserve. Good people will get good things, people who work hard will get their desired outcome and so fourth. I'm not sure if believing things should turn out okay has made me passive in my attempts to give myself a good life or if I just hope that since I haven't murdered anyone or anything that good things will come naturally to me. Ying and yang, 'everything happens for a reason', I don't know how to word it- I think I've just been following a blind hope that things should turn out okay for me and my friends and family because they are all wonderful people. Then I think of some of the awful things that happen in the world, and how nobody wanted these things to effect them; such as becoming bankrupt, losing a child, being cheated on, addiction (all various degrees of badness but you get the gist)- these things can happen to anyone and are rarely followed by a positive outcome. But my main fear is, that these things can happen to anyone! Anyone at all! I believe the universe has some ability above all else to ensure that people get what they deserve but I'm not sure if I actually believe that, or just seek comfort in it. I'm not sure if I should be more wary of bad things, or if I should have less faith in my dreams since there may not be a natural balance to our lives and the things that happen to us. Maybe there isn't a force that drives things in a certain way depending on who we are as humans and maybe it doesn't matter if we are good people and things just happen and I should stop following a hope with no evidence and find something solid to find hope in instead, so then at least I wouldn't be disappointed if things turn sour.

I don't believe I'm an overly good person, this isn't me preaching about how I deserve things that I'm not getting. I just think I have become too reliant on the hope that people get from what the world what they put into it but it's hard to reject the idea when it's been ingrained into me as a source of comfort since childhood, you know?

7 comments

  1. I'm a firm believer that 'everything happens for a reason', so far in my life this is true! I think what I try to do is just take everything as it comes and live every day like it's your last! That way you can't worry and you can focus on what's important :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! I just don't really know anymore but I know I definitely sometimes get too wrapped up in the grand ol universe we have x

      Delete
  2. This was a really interesting post Libby, I've never been a big believer in anything at all and I'm not sure why to be honest. I must say I do struggle to understand how the world works (as I'm sure we all do at times) but I think I'm coming to realise, just take each day as it comes. Every day is a new day, brings new opportunities etc. If you haven't already read it, I'd recommend 'notes on a nervous planet' by matt haig because he talks a lot about this sort of thing and I think its brilliant!

    Lucy | Forever September

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh I definitely should read that- I love a bit of Matt Haig!x

      Delete
  3. I completely get what you mean, I went through life thinking 'I do no wrongs, I always work hard all good things will come to me' living on this high for years and when things did go wrong I constantly questioned 'Why me?'. I do still believe that everything happens for a reason but I believe that good people still have to go through bad things, but they will always grow from it. Life is confusing and unfair but I think your outlook is the best way to be!xx

    Lucy Jane | Infinity of Fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks Lucy, yeah I just sort of hope things will turn out okay but I'm starting to think hope won't be enough and a little action will need to be done by me, I think this was basically just me calling out my laziness aha x

      Delete
  4. I so get what you're saying! The one I always live by is "everything happens for a reason" and sometimes I almost find it as an excuse for myself which is next really good haha. I feel like there's always some truth in good people get good things but sadly it isn't *always* true.

    Sarah x
    http://www.saraheliza.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I read them all and try my best to always reply x

© Libby-Jade. Design by FCD.